As you may know, I have been attending cooking lessons at the Chequers Cookery school. Last week we made a lasagne but due to me being a vegetarian, I made a vegetarian lasagne. I thought I would share the recipe that I followed as I have found it difficult in the past to find a tasty recipe for vegetarian lasagne.
The ingredients I used were to serve 4:
pinch of black pepper (optional)
150ml of vegetable stock
250m vegetarian mince
½ large onion
½ clove of garlic
1table spoon of tomato purée
½ tin of chopped tomatoes
4 sheets of no pre-cook lasagne sheets
250ml of milk
100g grated strong cheddar
15g plain flour
- First we will make the tomato sauce. finely chop the onion and the garlic
- In a saucepan heat the olive oil, when it is hot add the onion and cook for around 30seconds. Then add the garlic
- Add the vegetarian mince and cook until golden brown. Add the pepper if you would like.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, tomato purée.
- Chop the mushrooms and add to the saucepan.
- Add the vegetable stock and leave on a gentle simmer while you are preparing the white sauce.
- To make the white sauce, place the margarine, flour and milk into a saucepan before the saucepan is put on the hob.
- Bring to a simmer while always stirring until it has thickened.
- Simmer for about 2 minutes then mix in about 2/3 of the cheese.
- In a oven proof dish (I used a aluminium tray 230mm x 170mmx 45mm) make a layer of the tomato sauce, then 2 of the sheets of pasta then a layer of the white sauce.
- Repeat step 10 ensuring the last layer of white sauce covers all of the pasta.
- Sprinkle on the remaining cheese.
- Bake in the oven at 180c or gas mark 5 for about 30 minutes (may take longer depending on the size of the dish).
- Use a knife to ensure the pasta is cooked.
You can always alter the recipe slightly, adding different vegetables such as peppers if you like.
Hope this recipe inspires you to make a vegetarian lasagne. Me and my family loved it and I will definitely make it again.