Today is Shrove Tuesday, better known as pancake day! So I thought I would give you a simple recipe to make your own pancakes from scratch.
Ingredients to make 12 pancakes
100g plain flour
2 large eggs
1 table spoon of oil
pinch of salt
your choice of topping
- put the flour and a pinch of salt into a large mixing bowl. Make a well in the centre. Crack the eggs in the centre of the well.
- Add in about 50ml of the milk and the oil ( I have use rape seed oil but olive oil or vegetable oil will work). Whisk until you have a smooth thick paste. Add more milk if the paste is too thick to whisk.
- While continuing to whisk, add in the rest of the milk until you have a consistency similar to thick single cream.
- Heat a pan with oil over a medium heat and ladle some mixture into the pan so the bottom of the pan is covered. Leave for 30 seconds and the pancake should be golden brown. If so flip the pancake a leave for 30 seconds on the other side.
- Layer on your choice of topping.
Hope you enjoy making pancakes. Please don't be disheartened if the first pancake doesn't go to plan. They never do! My first one looked like it belonged in Doctor Who!
|first attempts never work!!|
You need to get used to the size of the pan and how much mixture you will need for each pancake. Larger pans made need longer.
If you find you have made too many pancakes (can you ever have too many pancakes?), these are suitable for home freezing.