Recently I attended the chequers cookery school again. They run a special group for those with mental health issues to help us gain confidence and make new friends. This week we made a delicious cheese and potato pie that I really enjoyed making (and enjoyed eating!) and so I thought I would share the recipe with you all.
Ingredients to serve 2:
450g of mashing potato
1 medium leek
25g of butter + a little to grease
150mls of whole milk
50g of full-fat cream cheese
1 large egg
1 tablespoon of chopped fresh tarragon
50g of cheddar cheese
pinch of salt
- preheat the oven to 200C or gas mark 6
- peel and cut the potatoes in roughly 3cm chunks
- drain and mash well
- melt the butter into a small pan, add finely chop leeks and cook until soft
- Mix well and season
- grease a oven proof dish with butter, pour in the mixture and scatter the rest of the cheddar cheese on the top
- bake for 25-30 minutes until piping hot and golden brown.
You could vary the dish by varying the type of hard cheese you use or add more or different herbs. You could also add ham along with the cheese.
My cooking skills are abysmal but I really enjoyed making this cheese and potato pie and I hope you have a go and try it too.