One of the reasons that Christmas costs so much every year is because of the food bill. People always go overboard on Christmas and spend a lot more then the ever age weekly shop. Here are a few tips to keep the cost down this year.
1. See what you already have. I am guilty of this one in regards to tinned foods such as cranberry sauce and gravy. I will decide what I usually have over the Christmas period and go out and buy it before checking if I already had some.
2. Make a list and stick to it. If you make a list you can go into a supermarket and buy only what you need.
3. Start buying early. Every time you go to do your weekly shop buy a few items for Christmas. Things such as gravy and sauces have long dates and so can be brought beforehand. This will spread the cost.
4. Don’t have a ‘as it’s Christmas’ attitude. Many people buy things they don’t need or buy in larger quantities then they need because it’s Christmas. I am guilty of buying larger jars because it’s Christmas but then they don’t get used!
5. Shop around. I know it is time consuming and the shops will be particularly busy this time of year but have a look online and see what offers are available at your local supermarkets. You may save quite a bit of you split your shopping over 2 supermarkets.
6. Don’t be afraid to try new brands. Sometimes the offers aren’t on the big brand items. You don’t have go for the own brands but many supermarkets will have a variety of products.
Hope this helps you to save money on your supermarket shop this Christmas